VRC Forum Index VRC Forums
Support, bug reports and general discussion related to the Virtual Radar Client for VATSIM.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOTE: These forums are now read-only. For new posts, please use the appropriate VATSIM forum.
Getting position and distances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vSTARS User-to-User Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xalorplex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Getting position and distances Reply with quote

When clearing an aircraft for an approach, is there a way to set an anchor, similar to VRC? It would be helpful to know the exact distance for the "P" portion of PTAC: "You are x miles from xxx".
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the "Tools" section of the Command Reference. There are a couple items that will prove useful.

Andrew Wolcott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could learn the technique of judging distance using the range rings.

If you fix is on or near the 15 NM range ring, and the aircraft is on or near the 20 NM range ring, guess how many miles the aircraft is from the fix.

That's right, 5 miles.

This is assuming your range ring distance is set to 5 NMs
Xalorplex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, I was hoping to try and get things a little more precise. Also, having the heading included is handy. I found that "*T + <SLEW TARGET>" to be quite handy. Also, using the TPA J-rings and .FIND is handy if I'm looking for them to be a specific distance away from a fix.

I don't know if it would be too much hassle (or if it's how things work in the real world), but something along the lines of "*T <SPACE> <FIX NAME>" would be handy. The box from .FIND disappears when I enter the *T <SLEW TARGET> command, so I kind of "guesstimate" the location of the fix.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the real system does allow you to specify a fix for the RBL. I have that on my list to add.

Andrew Wolcott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xalorplex wrote:
Andrew, I was hoping to try and get things a little more precise. Also, having the heading included is handy. I found that "*T + <SLEW TARGET>" to be quite handy. Also, using the TPA J-rings and .FIND is handy if I'm looking for them to be a specific distance away from a fix.

I don't know if it would be too much hassle (or if it's how things work in the real world), but something along the lines of "*T <SPACE> <FIX NAME>" would be handy. The box from .FIND disappears when I enter the *T <SLEW TARGET> command, so I kind of "guesstimate" the location of the fix.

Out of curiosity, is the fix/waypoint not depicted on the video map?

I agree, the RBL line would be handy to use to anchor to a known point by using the fix/waypoint/airport name.
Xalorplex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Wolcott wrote:
Out of curiosity, is the fix/waypoint not depicted on the video map?

I was mostly looking for final turns on the ILS. The video map I have for that is just a straight line and there aren't any distinguishable kinks/bends to find the different fixes along the approach. I don't have as much difficulty with SIDs/STARs that have more bends in the lines.

I was looking into including some text in some of my video maps but I can't see how to do that without drawing the text in using lines, if that's what you were referring to, Andrew.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many video maps will have short lines perpendicular to the final approach course that indicate the fixes depicted on the approach plate. Makes it real easy to use the range rings to give the distance to a fix when issuing an approach clearance.

Xalorplex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add those, Ross. That should make things a little easier.
Carson Page

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ross wrote:
I believe the real system does allow you to specify a fix for the RBL. I have that on my list to add.
Sorry for a necro, but is this actually ever going to be added? This is a main feature that is turning me away from vSTARS, otherwise I like the system, I have been helping my FE create Facility files for it, finding the actual radar sites and such covering the approach airspace. I think a lot of people would enjoy this feature, and get more people interested in it.

Otherwise I love vSTARS. Thanks for providing such a cool radar client.

--Carson
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No plans to work on my vSTARS to do list at the moment. Too bogged down in real world stuff.

Carson Page

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross wrote:
No plans to work on my vSTARS to do list at the moment. Too bogged down in real world stuff.
Cool. Just wanted to see what was up with that. Hope your IRL stuff goes well. Have a good day! On I side note, any good tools you know of for drawing sector files/videomaps?
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never made any sector files, so I've never looked for any tools. I know there are a few posts on the VATSIM forums.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vSTARS User-to-User Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: