VRC Forum Index VRC Forums
Support, bug reports and general discussion related to the Virtual Radar Client for VATSIM.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOTE: These forums are now read-only. For new posts, please use the appropriate VATSIM forum.
PMDG 739NGX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vPilot Discussion and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drdanconnie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: PMDG 739NGX Reply with quote

I'm trying to get model matching to work in vpilot and cannot get it to recognize the PMDG 739NGX. Any suggestions. Please help. Thank you.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you want to use the NGX for model matching? That's an extremely high-detail model that will eat up CPU time (and thus reduce your frame rate) when there are other 737s in the area being displayed using the NGX model.

drdanconnie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: PMDG 739NGX Reply with quote

I didn't realize it would be an issue. I will consider other aircraft so I can get involved in flying using the available services, however, if possible can I get the required help to try the PMDG 737 and see how bad it gets? Thank you.
Don Desfosse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd strongly recommend against it too based on how many forum posts I've read where peoples' sims bomb based on the memory usage.

There are lots of freeware (e.g. WOAI) and payware packages out there that most of us use.

I've never taken a non-AI payware aircraft and tried to use it as AI for model matching, so I'm not sure my advice would be great. But if you really, really, really want to invest the time in something that pretty much the whole community advises against, we can try to work it through with you.
drdanconnie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: PMDG 739NGX Reply with quote

Gentlemen. I'm no fool and will take your advise. The PMDG 737 is very realistic and I really enjoy that model. My background is F-106 and T-38 IP. As a retired AF Pilot, and not in the right place at the right time, the closest I can come to fulfill by desire to be an Airline Pilot is flight simulation, hence the choice of the PMDG 737. What other airline models would give such realism and not bog down the system? Thank you again for all your support.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm concerned you may be thinking we're saying that you shouldn't FLY the PMDG. We're not saying that. We're talking about using the PMDG model to represent OTHER aircraft you encounter while flying online.

That's what model matching is about ... it's about configuring which models are used to show other pilot's aircraft online. Model matching has nothing to do with the aircraft that you yourself are flying.

drdanconnie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: PMDG 739NGX Reply with quote

I believe my misunderstanding of model matching has caused my problem. If that's the case I would like to try what ever you suggest as to satisfying the model matching problem and I would stay with the PMDG 737 as the aircraft I select and then I'll find out if it causes a memory issue with my computer configuration. Thank you.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The memory issue Don refers to would only come into play if you were using the PMDG model for model matching. Because then you'd have multiple "copies" of the complex PMDG model loaded into memory any time you had other 737s in your vicinity.

Don Desfosse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Lots of folks FLY the various PMDG (and other add-on) aircraft and love them. The only issue is when you try to use a high-res model instead of a low-res AI model (e.g. WOAI, MyTraffic, etc.) for model matching.
drdanconnie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did. I have FSX started with the PMDG 737 at a gate. I started vPilot, selected Model Matching, selected the + next to World of AI US Airlines, selected World of AI - Southwest Airlines (SWA), selected Download Selected Rule Sets, in the left panel I then saw World of AI US Airlines - World of AI - Southwest Airlines (SWA), selected Run Model Matching Test, selected Start Test, and saw Rule of x 14882. All generated entries were red. After selecting Connect on vPilot I saw Connected and frequencies for Center and Approach/Departure. I selected Flight Plan and File Flight Plan. The next entry was Flight Plan filed. After waiting almost 15 minutes I didn't get red model matching warnings which I got in the past and never got frequencies for Tower, Ground, Clearance Delivery, ATIS, Observers. I set comm 1 to BOS_1_CTR and requested a radio check and received "load and clear". So at this point things are very much better but I'm not getting the frequencies I need to get the flight plan etc.. Is this correct so far?
drdanconnie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: PMDG 739NGX Reply with quote

Additional information. After waiting about 30 minutes frequencies appeared for ATIS. When I tuned into one of them I heard correct information. Frequencies for Tower, Ground, and Clearance Delivery never showed up! Is all this correct? Note the flight plan filed was from KBWI to KBOS, but I'm presently flying from KBWI to KLGA and despite the fact I taxied and took off no one has said a word. While tuned into ATL_1_CTR and I hear others requesting taxi and take off permission!
JHG0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drdanconnie,
This is correct. Unlike default FSX ATC, controllers are not online 24/7. VATSIM Controllers are regular people with lives to attend to. If they're online and in your visibility range, they will show up on that list.

When no appropriate ATC is online, you should be tuned to UNICOM (122.80) [few exceptions, don't worry about them].

I would suggest checking out the Pilot Resource Centre in order to learn more about flying on VATSIM. It more or less has what I stated above and a whole lot more.
drdanconnie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: PMDG 739NGX Reply with quote

Thank you for all the support. I'll use the Pilot resource Centre for follow up issues.
Don Desfosse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you still have questions about VATSIM after reading the PRC, suggest you search the VATSIM forums for answers, and you can certainly add posts with questions on the VATSIM forums. We are certainly happy to help you here with vPilot-specific questions. Both forums are great places to learn and get help.

I will, though, add one quick piece of information related to your last post. Since VATSIM is a hobby and is staffed by people when they have time, we use a top-down ATC methodology. In a quick nutshell, what that means is that in the absence of a lower-level controller, but presence of a higher-level controller, the higher-level controller provides service for the lower-level positions. As an example, if you saw XXX_CTR online but no XXX_APP, no XXX_TWR, no XXX-GND and no XXX_DEL, XXX_CTR will provide all DEL, GND TWR, APP/DEP (and XXX_CTR of course) services for you at any controlled (or nontowered, in the case of APP/DEP services) airport within that ARTCC. If you are flying and NO ATC is online appropriate to where you are flying, then you just see and avoid and coordinated on Unicom (122.800). So, from your example, if you were flying from BWI to LGA, and DC_CTR, BWI_APP, BWI_TWR, BWI_GND and BWI_DEL were not online, then there is no appropriate ATC online and you just see and avoid, and coordinate with other nearby aircraft on Unicom. For situational awareness, suggest using a tool like VATSpy or vPilot's .debug function to help you know if there are nearby aircraft that you might need to coordinate with.

Lots to learn, very much worth it! Welcome!
drdanconnie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: PMDG 739NGX Reply with quote

You have been very helpful and your last posts' "...add one quick piece of information..." answered many of my questions. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vPilot Discussion and Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: