VRC Forum Index VRC Forums
Support, bug reports and general discussion related to the Virtual Radar Client for VATSIM.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOTE: These forums are now read-only. For new posts, please use the appropriate VATSIM forum.
World of AI package downloader
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vPilot Discussion and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WebMaximus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, very strange then why vPilot can't find the models.

My simobjects.cfg file looks OK to me with no gaps and the numbering is all good. Below is what my file looks like.

And just to make sure the folder structure isn't the problem here's an example of the path to one of the WOAI aircraft models vPilot can't locate.

F:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\WOAITraffic\Aegean Airlines\aircraft\WoA_DJC_A321_IAE

[Entry.0]
Title=Default Airplanes
Path=SimObjects\Airplanes
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.1]
Title=Default Avatars
Path=SimObjects\Avatars
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.2]
Title=Default Rotorcraft
Path=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.3]
Title=Default Ground Vehicles
Path=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.4]
Title=Default Boats
Path=SimObjects\Boats
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.5]
Title=Default Animals
Path=SimObjects\Animals
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.6]
Title=Default Misc
Path=SimObjects\Misc
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.7]
Title=Default Submersible
Path=SimObjects\Submersible
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.8]
Title=Default Weapons
Path=SimObjects\Weapons
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.9]
Title=Default Countermeasures
Path=SimObjects\Countermeasures
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.10]
Title=WOAI Aircraft Models
Path=WOAITraffic
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.11]
Title=Mega Airport Zurich V2.0
Path=Aerosoft\Mega Airport Zurich V2.0\simobjects
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.12]
Title=Split X
Path=Aerosoft\Split X\simobjects
Required=True
Active=True

Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WebMaximus wrote:
And just to make sure the folder structure isn't the problem here's an example of the path to one of the WOAI aircraft models vPilot can't locate.

To be clear, it's not vPilot that can't locate the model, it's P3D. vPilot doesn't know (or care) where the model is installed. It only knows the title of the model, and it tells P3D (via SimConnect) to create an aircraft using that model. It's up to P3D to locate the model on disk.

WebMaximus wrote:
F:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\WOAITraffic\Aegean Airlines\aircraft\WoA_DJC_A321_IAE

In order for P3D to find the model, it must be in a subfolder directly under the path listed in simobjects.cfg. So it would need to be here:

F:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\WOAITraffic\WoA_DJC_A321_IAE

I'm not sure why the WoAI installer is adding the extra folders in between.

WebMaximus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right Ross, when I tried what you suggested with Aegan Airlines it worked just fine.

So this means I have quite a task ahead of me manually copying all WoA_ folders into one single folder and I can only hope there won't be any folders with the same name...
WebMaximus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get very far and I already encountered two airlines sharing the same name of some of the aircraft models.

I can't imagine everyone using WoAI with vPilot has went through all this to make the models work?

And with the problem where some folders apparently share the same name it's not only very time consuming but also impossible for any airlines with folders sharing the same name or am I missing something here...?
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that the models that exist under more than one airline actually use the same model files, but different textures.

I would do a little searching around to figure out how to make the WoAI installer NOT create separate folders for each airline ... there's no way that can actually work, because P3D simply can't make use of the models if they are buried under that many subfolders.

WebMaximus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do that.

Thanks anyway Ross for your time and trying to help me!
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played around with the installer a bit, and I'm guessing you probably used the option that lets you uncompress the packages for manual installation. When you do that, it unzips each package into a folder named after the airline. You then have to manually move the texture and model files into place, and manually add entries to the aircraft.cfg files.

Instead of doing that, you want to perform a regular installation. Since the installer doesn't support P3D, you have to trick it by creating a file called fsx.exe in your P3D folder.

Then, when you run the WoAI installer, choose "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" from the "Target" dropdown. Then click the ".." button next to the "FSX path" text box, change the file type at the bottom right of the "Open" dialog that appears, change it to "FSX.exe", then navigate to your P3D folder and select the fsx.exe file that you created.

Then it will install all the models into "Prepar3D v3\Simobjects\Airplanes". If you want to have them in their own folder such as "Prepar3D\WOAITraffic", then you can manually move all the folders from "Prepar3D v3\Simobjects\Airplanes" which start with "WoA_" into "Prepar3D\WOAITraffic".

WebMaximus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Ross but that is actually pretty much what I already did after my last post with the difference I never created the fake fsx.exe file and I never pointed the installer to my P3D folder.

The result was I got a number of folders created in the root of the drive from where I was running the installer but I also got the aircraft folder under the folder where the installer was located. So I simply moved the contents from that folder to my WOAI folder under my P3D folder after I got rid of the stuff that was already in there.

Then I ran the test tool again and this time it went much better! There were still maybe 20-30 models or so that it couldn't find so I removed them from the model matching rules files and then the tool went all the way through with no errors...nice!

I just did a quick test to check out the models and I think they do look quite good and possibly better than the MT6 models but have to do more testing first when I have more time. However I noticed that the problem with how they look during nighttime is still there. Maybe not as bad as I remember the IVAO MTL models in FSX in DX10 mode but still not very nice looking as you can see from the screenshot below.

Anyway, great to finally have this working and will be cool doing some more proper testing the next coming days.

Thanks again for all your help!!

[/img]
Euan Emblin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I am wondering if you can help me with an issue I am having with the downloader. It refuses to log me into AVSIM though I am using my valid credentials and using these I can log onto AVSIM without issue. I input the same details into the downloader utility and it is unable to log in.
Thanks for your assistance.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you are using your avsim library credentials, which are different from credentials used on other parts of avsim.

Euan Emblin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ross

Yes, using the AVSIM library credentials I can log into the library to search for a download for example but I cannot run the downloader. Very strange.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm ... not sure what to tell you. It's still working fine for me.

planeman744

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there guys. I'm having an issue downloading the Package Downloader executable. It seems that whenever I download the .exe, it is immediately deleted. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
planeman744

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregard my last post. I identified that it was my antivirus interfering with the operation of the program
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vPilot Discussion and Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: