VRC Forum Index VRC Forums
Support, bug reports and general discussion related to the Virtual Radar Client for VATSIM.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOTE: These forums are now read-only. For new posts, please use the appropriate VATSIM forum.
Navdata source information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vSTARS User-to-User Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkreilein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Navdata source information Reply with quote

Where does vSTARS get its list of fixes/VORs, etc from?

In toying with some ZNY files vSTARS cannot .find NEWEL, ZIMMZ, DEEZZ, and a few other fixes that are in the SCT I used to build the XML files. These were added in the October AIRAC cycle. Same issue for the newly minted BAWLL and KRANN in ZBW added in December. Interestingly, vSTARS can find the IIU (and many other things) that are not in the SCT used to create the XML files.

So the data clearly doesn't come from the SCT so where is that from and is it editable so that these points can be added?

Curiosity question...if we have a DP/STAR that contains one of these points (which we do) will vSTARS fail to render it as an XML? Haven't had a chance to try that out yet as just though of it but will give a try and see what happens.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Navdata source information Reply with quote

mkreilein wrote:
Where does vSTARS get its list of fixes/VORs, etc from?

In toying with some ZNY files vSTARS cannot .find NEWEL, ZIMMZ, DEEZZ, and a few other fixes that are in the SCT I used to build the XML files. These were added in the October AIRAC cycle. Same issue for the newly minted BAWLL and KRANN in ZBW added in December. Interestingly, vSTARS can find the IIU (and many other things) that are not in the SCT used to create the XML files.

In the vSTARS application data folder, there is a file called Waypoints.xml ... that's where all the VORs, Fixes, etc. are contained. That file was built from a fairly recent AIRAC, but probably not recent enough. I will be releasing a new version soon which will have the most recent data. A later version will incorporate automatic updating of this file.

mkreilein wrote:
Curiosity question...if we have a DP/STAR that contains one of these points (which we do) will vSTARS fail to render it as an XML? Haven't had a chance to try that out yet as just though of it but will give a try and see what happens.

Not sure what you mean by "render it as an XML". Do you mean a video map?

mkreilein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Navdata source information Reply with quote

mkreilein wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "render it as an XML". Do you mean a video map?

Sorry. Crappy language choice but yes.

Example, the DEEZZ DP out of JFK contains DEEZZ amongst several other points. I have a .sct that correctly maps DEEZZ. If I make a video map of the STAR for vSTARS will it be able to do so or will it fail or will parts containing DEEZZ just not appear properly?
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Navdata source information Reply with quote

mkreilein wrote:
Example, the DEEZZ DP out of JFK contains DEEZZ amongst several other points. I have a .sct that correctly maps DEEZZ. If I make a video map of the STAR for vSTARS will it be able to do so or will it fail or will parts containing DEEZZ just not appear properly?

vSTARS video maps are just collections of line segments. They are not tied to the navigation data at all. So if you have a SID/STAR diagram in your sector file for DEEZZ, you can generate a video map for it which will load into vSTARS even if vSTARS' navdata has none of the waypoints.

Tim Roden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there, or will there be a purpose in have a waypoint file?
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, the waypoints file is used for the .find command, and for certain text alias functions such as $dist and $oclock. It may be used in the future for determining which flight plans will enter the tracon airspace, etc.

Tim Roden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That waypoint file someone else created and I downloaded is not right. If there are more then two waypoints that have the same name, it only stores one of them. example, CLARE. Two locations are from the VASFMC 1111 AIRAC:
CLARE|32760975|-96332136|K4
CLARE|37493889|127995000|RK

I need the one in k4 not the one in RK. The one in RK made it into your file. There are a number of waypoints like that. If we are going to use this for approaches in our area. We probably don't need one that has every waypoint in the world.
N298MC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump, if this can be updated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vSTARS User-to-User Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: