VRC Forum Index VRC Forums
Support, bug reports and general discussion related to the Virtual Radar Client for VATSIM.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOTE: These forums are now read-only. For new posts, please use the appropriate VATSIM forum.
CRDA HELP?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vSTARS User-to-User Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Wolcott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give this a a whirl:

Number one, check your Lat/Longs for your Target reference line and image reference line.

The target ref line for 16L should bethe 16L threshold. Under the 16L window, the image ref line should be the 16R threshold.

Under the 16R window, the image ref line under 16L now becomes your target ref line for 16R.

Also, the way you had your qualification region setup was somewhat goofy. Remember that by using a scratchpad qualifier, you can have a huge range of altitude, so no need to put the descent point out the way out at RRUFF or IRRON. Set it at the FAF, using the FAF altitude of 6000. Then, set an above path tolerance that allows for the aircraft to be all the way out at IRRON or RRUFF. I used an above path tolerance of 6000 just to cover all the way up to 12,000.

Below path tolerance I set to 1,000.

Anyway, try this file and see if it works better for you:

S56 Facility File
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've discovered a bug in the CRDA calcs. The way the calculation works currently, it will only work for airports near sea level, unless you have a massive below path tolerance value set. Smile

I'll get a new version out soon with a fix.

Tim Roden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go. I should have tried this first at Midland instead of Waco, I could have found the problem first. BTW, it is looking good on my first attempt. I put the altitude and distance of the outer marker, is that the correct thinking for the descent point altitude and distance?
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Roden wrote:
Way to go. I should have tried this first at Midland instead of Waco, I could have found the problem first. BTW, it is looking good on my first attempt. I put the altitude and distance of the outer marker, is that the correct thinking for the descent point altitude and distance?

I can't say exactly how CRDA is typically configured in real world facilities, but I would assume that the descent point should be the point where arrivals typically join the glideslope.

Xalorplex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! I tried using the CRDA with the new version of vSTARS and a pretty little ghost appears exactly where it is supposed to. Very neat! Now if only the "*T<SPACE><FIX>" worked I would be all set! Smile Next version, maybe? Smile Really enjoying learning how to get vSTARS all setup! Keep up the great work!

Thanks Andrew for the new CRDA settings. They work great!
mlovetto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: CRDA regions... Reply with quote

should the polygon start at the FAF or threshold? In other words, should my polygon, when I toggle it on, begin at the FAF or at the runway threshold? Right now I have them at what appears to be the FAF with the course lines beginning at the threshold. What do you suggest?[/img]
mlovetto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, should TRP altitude be field elevation?
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The polygon should start wherever you want ghost targets to stop being generated as the aircraft approaches the runway. Since you generally put slave runway arrivals onto the localizer outside the FAF, then you don't need ghosts to be displayed inside the FAF, so the polygon should usually start at the FAF.

The TRP altitude should be equal to the altitude at which an arrival typically crosses the TRP. So if you put the TRP at the runway threshold, then the TRP altitude should be the elevation of the runway threshold. (Usually at or near the field elevation.)

mlovetto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. So, I have my reference points at the threshold. However, my qualification region starts 1nm from the threshold, is 6 TOTAL nm wide at the near side and 12 TOTAL nm wide at the far side. This is for runway 6 at KBHM, slave is 36.

For the slave, I just copied Master to Slave, changed the label orientation to N. Qualification ranges are the same. I have a qualification polygons that are both 1nm from the threshold and my TRP altitudes are at 7 (650ft field elevation). I put the altitudes like you did for SLC, starting at FAF and going up higher for the marks further out. It seems to look good, but I can't get a sweatbox session up to test it out...
mlovetto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: coordinates Reply with quote

How are coordinates displayed using the tools... I can't get it to convert properly
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean...

Xalorplex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlovetto, when I was putting the CRDA together for SLC, I got all the information I needed (as far as the coordinates) from airnav.com. The coordinates are displayed in the Degrees-Minutes form. So just convert the minutes to a decimal (i.e., divide by 60).

For example, coordinates for SLC runway 16L is displayed on airnav.com as:
Latitude: 40-48.446667N
Longitude: 111-58.616133W

Converting to decimal format:
Latitude: 40 degrees + 48.446667/60 = 40.80744445
Longitude: 111 degrees + 58.616133/60 = -111.97693555 (it's negative because it's 111 degrees west)

Hope that helps... if that's what you meant by:
wlovetto wrote:
How are coordinates displayed using the tools... I can't get it to convert properly

marvin.palmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just open up the airport xml in your folder
C:\Users\%User Account%\AppData\Roaming\vSTARS
that will get you your threshold coords...
Rated: S3
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

%appdata%\vSTARS is the best path to use, since it won't always be c:\users.

HP2456

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Andrew Wolcott"]

quote]

Xalorplex (Mike) - With the latest update to vSTARS, did you keep the settings Andrew provided with such a large Target/Decent Point Altitude and Above/Below Tolerance Altitude?

Andrew - Out of curiosity, I noticed the Target Ref Point Alt' for the Master is 43, but why is the Slave Target Ref Point Alt' 60 instead of 43?

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vSTARS User-to-User Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: