VRC Forum Index VRC Forums
Support, bug reports and general discussion related to the Virtual Radar Client for VATSIM.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOTE: These forums are now read-only. For new posts, please use the appropriate VATSIM forum.
vPilot Not Transmitting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vPilot Discussion and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichMD5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: vPilot Not Transmitting Reply with quote

I am having an issue with vPilot not transmitting while I am online. I've been using vPilot for a few years with no problems until recently. The only thing that is different is that I recently upgraded to Windows 10. Other than that, nothing is new. I connect to VATSIM with no problem. Can hear all traffic but when I PTT, the blue light does not activate and no one can hear me. I did notice that when I calibrate my mic, I get.....

RESULT: SPEECHDROWNEDOUT
SQUELCH: 1.00

I tested the mic settings and everything seems to be working fine as far as the computer settings go. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I really don't want to have to change to a different client program since I'm so used to vPilot. Thanks in advance.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the TX light doesn't light up in blue, then vPilot is not recognizing your PTT press.

Any chance this is the classic "running FSX as administrator" problem? If you run FSX/P3D as an admin, you must also run vPilot as an admin, if you are using a keyboard key for PTT. (If you are using a joystick/yoke button, this isn't an issue.)

That being said, the fact that you got "SPEECHDROWNEDOUT" as a calibration result means vPilot isn't hearing anything from your mic. So it sounds like you actually have two issues. (Mic not working, plus PTT not working.)

RichMD5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Well, I tested my mic on my computer and calibrated it and was able to record voice. The mic seems to be working but perhaps it's not being recognized by vPilot for some reason. As far as the PTT, when I am on a non-transmitting frequency (let's say UNICOM - 122.80), and I press the PTT, I get the squelch sound that tells you it's unable to transmit. So it seems that it is recognizing the PTT. I saw another forum post today that had the same problem and it said to try .debug. I just ran it and I get recognition from the debug that I'm pressing the PTT (True then False). But, still no resolution. It's so frustrating because I've been using vPilot for years with no problems until just now. I'm not sure what else to try. Thanks again.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you get the buzzer when you PTT on UNICOM, but you DON'T get the buzzer when you PTT on an actual voice channel, yet the TX light still doesn't light up blue?

RichMD5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct. When I'm on a non-transmitting channel (such as UNICOM) and I press the PTT, I get the buzzing noise. When I am in range of an ATC and dial in the frequency, you hear the sound that alerts you that you are connected and the frequency number changes color. The RX button turns blue when receiving traffic but when I press the PTT, the light does not turn on and I cannot be heard over the frequency. Also, When I debug, it's recognizing the PTT on there when I press it. I did remember that I recently upgraded FSUPIC to the latest version. Could this have something to do with it? Not exactly sure how to test it, though.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, FSUIPC wouldn't have any effect unless you configured your PTT to do something else in FSUIPC, which I'm assuming you haven't.

I honestly don't even know how it's possible that you don't see the TX light illuminate if the buzzer isn't sounding. If the buzzer isn't sounding, then vPilot is definitely connected to the voice channel. (As is evidenced by the fact that you hear other users just fine.)

The only thing I can think of is that there is some code buried in the VVL (VATSIM Voice Library, which I didn't write) that doesn't bother transmitting any data if it's not getting any audio data from the audio device. You said you got SPEECHDROWNEDOUT as the calibration result, so maybe that's the case.

You said you tested your mic and calibrated it and were able to record voice. What calibration are you referring to there?

RichMD5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Ross. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out. I really like vPilot and even hate entertaining the idea of switching to a different program. Anyway, in device manager, under sound I have a place to calibrate the mic. There is a red and green slider that shows voice fluctuation as you speak. When I use it, it works fine. I also set up my voice recognition with no problem. And, I have a voice recorder program I use for work. It's just a simple program to help me remember things while I'm working on projects, but that works, too. I tried an older version of vPilot last night but that had the same results. It has to be something with Windows 10 and very specific to m configuration due to the fact that there are a lot of people using Windows 10 with vPilot that are not having any issues. If you can think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks again.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried running vPilot as an administrator? I'm wondering if something in the Windows 10 security setup is preventing vPilot from accessing the audio device.

RichMD5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have. I've tried all sorts of combinations. Last night, I tried to install the previous version of vPilot but that didn't work either. I'm out of suggestions myself. Perhaps you intelligent guys can figure something. Frustrating..... Thanks!
RichMD5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Ross. After days of manipulating my computer I finally got vPilot to work again. I wanted to let you know as an FYI for future individuals having trouble. I can across a forum post about microphones not working with Skype and implemented the changes to my system and it began to work immediately. Right click on the sound icon on the taskbar and click on recording devices. Highlight your mic and click Properties and go to the Advanced tab. At the bottom, there is a section - Signal Enhancements. Under that, there is a check box for Enable Audio Enhancements. It has to be unchecked. I guess it's checked by default. That's it. Well, that's what helped me anyway. Again, thanks for the help. Great program. Rich
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I don't have any such setting for my microphone ... must be found only certain drivers.

Thanks for posting the fix.

N425CV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Windows 10 as well. I run FSX and V-Pilot as Administer.
I can hear the controllers on the Vatsim network no problem. I cannot transmit to them using my PTT with the simulator running and the V-Pilot window in the foreground. IF I CLICK ON THE V-PILOT WINDOW THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL THE TX WORK.

However, then FSX is in the background and I cannot hear the sounds of the aircraft. The aircraft continues to function without sound. If I click on the FSX screen then the sound returns. V-Pilot is still in the foreground but I cannot TX unless I click on the V-Pilot window again. FSX is NOT running in full screen mode.

I hope this bit of information is of help.

Thanks for your great support.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you are running vPilot as an admin? It sounds like you are not.

When you start vPilot, does it prompt you with something like "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to the computer?"

N425CV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the problem. I also use a third party weather generator which launches FSX. That program was not run in admin mode and was the source of the problem.
Thanks for the prompt reply and help.
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange ... if you weren't running FSX as an admin, then you shouldn't need to run vPilot as an admin, in order for it to recognize your PTT.

Note that if you use a joystick/yoke button for PTT, this issue goes away. (It's only a problem for keyboard PTT.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vPilot Discussion and Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: