VRC Forum Index VRC Forums
Support, bug reports and general discussion related to the Virtual Radar Client for VATSIM.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOTE: These forums are now read-only. For new posts, please use the appropriate VATSIM forum.
Only Default Aircraft Showing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vPilot Discussion and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcr751

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Only Default Aircraft Showing Reply with quote

I'm completely new to vPilot. I downloaded the client yesterday and when I connected with FSX, all I could see in the way of aircraft was the default Airbus 321. Also, when connected, I received loads of errors telling me I don't have the correct sets.

Question: Why doesn't vPilot recognize the planes currently loaded in FSX?

Question: Is there a site where I can download numerous plane sets at the same time, sort of like VIP that I did long ago using another client?

Doug
JHG0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=64672

Checkout the question regarding Model Matching. That is what you are looking for If you don't have your model matching rules setup properly (and AI traffic installed) you will continue to get errors and only see the default A321.
bcr751

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the vPilot documentation regarding the model sets and I gotta tell ya, it makes no sense to me. The way I read it, I will need to install a different model set for every plane I may encounter, that's assuming I know how to make one. That just can't be right. When I ran FSInn, I was able to download a complete VIP model set that contained a large number of aircraft all at once. Is there no such option available for vPilot?

Doug
Ross
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are model sets out there, ready to go. Many people use World of AI. Some use Ultimate Traffic, some use MyTraffic, etc.

vPilot doesn't come with one because there isn't one that is legal for me to distribute with vPilot. There has been talk of VATSIM creating their own model set, but it hasn't happened yet.

bcr751

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Ross. So, for example, if I download the Air Canada package from World of AI and install it into FSX, will vPilot then recognize anything from that install and show all Air Canada aircraft in the correct livery and plane type?

Doug
Don Desfosse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to answer for Ross, but yes, that's how it works, assuming you activate a model matching rule set tht points to the ACA AI aircraft. Suggest you use Ross' WOAI downloader to download the aircraft you want, install the WOAI aircraft to your sim, and then run vmrgenerator to create a custom model matching rule set. Once you do that, I think you'll see the power in the aggregate solution. (i.e. I think you'll be psyched!)
bcr751

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Don. I think where I'm having difficulty is in differentiating between the actual aircraft file and this thing called a rule set. I just don't get that. Obviously, I'm not that computer savvy and I don't want to have to become a programmer to fly online. If I have to create a rule set for every plane I'm likely to encounter, well then I think I'll just have to pass.

If you don't mind, maybe you could explain the various terms like rule set, WOAI Installer, WOAI Downloader and vmrgenerator and what they all do. Also, are there links available for any of this stuff?

Doug
Don Desfosse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. All of those answers actually appear in the stickied forum threads at the top of this forum. I highly recommend you read through those threads, but I'll try to highlight the relevant passages below.

First, you absolutely do not need to install an individual rule per aircraft. That's why there are rule sets, or sets individual rules. Most of the rule sets that are available for download contain hundreds of individual rules within them. Regardless, the use of VMRGenerator to create a custom ruleset that identifies and creates rules specifically for the aircraft you have installed in your simulator is highly recommended (see below for the link).

From the vPilot Tips, Tricks, FAQ and Troubleshooting Guide:

Quote:
Q: I clicked all the model matching rule sets, but all I see is white A320s. How come I don't see all different aircraft?
A: You may be confusing liveries (a/k/a model sets) and rule sets. Liveries are the paints that appear on AI aircraft. Rule sets are the instructions that tell vPilot where to find your AI. There are no liveries that come with vPilot. For liveries, you need AI (artificial intelligence aircraft). Examples of these include WoAI, MyTraffic, etc. You have to find freeware ones or buy payware ones. Then you need to install them in your simulator. Then you can tell vPilot which ones you have installed by selecting the model matching rule sets and making those active in vPilot (and picking the order of precedence).

Quote:
Q: I downloaded and installed all the model matching rule sets that came with vPilot, but now I'm getting a million errors. What's up with that? What's the logic?
A: Only download and install model matching sets for AI packages that you have installed! If you don't have the aircraft installed, vPilot will look for the aircraft in your FSX/P3D installation and when it can't find the aircraft, will throw an error message. Read the Model Matching Rules Explained section of the documentation (http://vPilot.metacraft.com/Documentation.aspx)

Quote:
Q: I downloaded the model matching rule sets that pertain to AI I downloaded a few years ago, but I'm not sure the AI I downloaded exactly matches the aircraft included in the model matching rule set. Is there a tool that I can use to create a model matching rule set that includes only the AI on my computer?
A: Yes! A fellow pilot, Nico Kaan, has graciously created and shared with our community a software tool called VMRGenerator. Several hundred pilots have now successfully been using the vPilot VMRGenerator, found at http://www.lekseecon.nl/VMRGenerator.html , to create a model matching rule set that ONLY corresponds to AI you already have loaded on your computer.

WOAI is a compilation of hundreds of AI. The good news is that they're free and don't use up much computer resources at all. The trade is that they're free, and if you are looking for perfection, remember that you get what you pay for.... Wink Seriously, though, they are a wonderful contribution to our community; thousands of pilots use them every day. One downside, though, is that some of the liveries are getting pretty old. Another downside is that the original WOAI intent was for pilots to download and install them one by one. Most folks would like to select the ones they want, download them and install them all in one shot. That's currently not possible, as the WOAI group has decided not to offer that ability. However, to at least help with the downloading part, Ross Carlson, the developer of vPilot (and many other VATSIM apps), created a downloader app to select and download multiple aircraft in one shot. You still need to install them using the WOAI installer.

From the WOAI Downloader sticky:
Quote:
NOTE THAT THIS IS A DOWNLOADER ONLY. YOU ARE STILL REQUIRED TO INSTALL THE PACKAGES INTO YOUR SIM USING THE WOAI INSTALLER SOFTWARE!

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
bcr751

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Don. That certainly does help a lot. I would search through the various threads but the problem is that I don't know what I don't know, if you know what I mean Smile . I wouldn't know what to look for. What you have provided will help but I'll likely still have questions and thank you for your offer to continue to help. I was afraid that I would have to download a rule set for each and every aircraft and I definitely don't want to have to do that. I'll check out the WOAI stuff and will probable load those to start with. Once I become more familiar with the system, I'll likely look for some more "discerning" ones. I

Thanks again for your help.

Doug
Don Desfosse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, my pleasure.
bcr751

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the WOAI site and had a look at their packages. I understand I have to download the installer but what about the packages? Do I have to download a package for each airline or are there packages that contain multiple airlines? If I have to do each one, for my local airport, I would need to download 15 different airline packages. But what If I flew into Kennedy in New York? There are certainly more than 15 airlines that fly in there ! It would take a long time to cover each one separately. Is that the case or are there multi-airline packages?

Doug
Don Desfosse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, according to WOAI, yes, you would need to download each package separately, and that's how thousands of us did it UNTIL Ross created the WOAI downloader software as mentioned in my previous post, with a link to the forum post that mentioned it.

Don Desfosse wrote:
Sure thing. All of those answers actually appear in the stickied forum threads at the top of this forum. I highly recommend you read through those threads, but I'll try to highlight the relevant passages below.
Another downside is that the original WOAI intent was for pilots to download and install them one by one. Most folks would like to select the ones they want, download them and install them all in one shot. That's currently not possible, as the WOAI group has decided not to offer that ability. However, to at least help with the downloading part, Ross Carlson, the developer of vPilot (and many other VATSIM apps), created a downloader app to select and download multiple aircraft in one shot. You still need to install them using the WOAI installer.

From the WOAI Downloader sticky:
Quote:
NOTE THAT THIS IS A DOWNLOADER ONLY. YOU ARE STILL REQUIRED TO INSTALL THE PACKAGES INTO YOUR SIM USING THE WOAI INSTALLER SOFTWARE!

Suggest you read the post, obtain an AvSim account (if you don't already have one) (note: having an AvSim account for downloads from their library is different from having an AvSim account for their forums), downloading and using Ross' WOAI package downloader software.
bcr751

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded the WOAI packages I feel I might need. I have yet to install them with the WOAI Installer.

I have another question. I would like to be able to have vPilot recognize the aircraft I currently have installed in FSX as well as the ones I will be downloading from WOAI. Will I have to make up rule sets for the currently installed aircraft or will vPilot be able to find those?

Doug
Don Desfosse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm away on vacation and there is precious little internet here so apologize for the very short answer. Strongly suggest you use VMRgenerator as mentioned above.
bcr751

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read the info. on the VMRGenerator, it sounded like it would ONLY read the AI contained in the original download of FSX. I see that is not the case as I am able to see many more aircraft.

Thanks for your help, Don.

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VRC Forum Index -> vPilot Discussion and Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: